8.27.2009

1st Day of School=1st Grade?

Normally the first day of school does not equal 1st grade, but I guess when the school tells you that your kid will not learn anything in Kindergarten then you bump him up. I think I was more worried about it than he is. He at first was not excited to not be going to Kindergarten, since that is what we had been counting down for the last 3 months, but he got over it when he found out he was going to eat lunch there.
The school called me yesterday and said that he more than passed his Kindergarten assesment and we should seriously consider moving him to 1st grade. Well, after about an hour of Andy and I talking on phone, we came to the conclussion that moving him up was the best option for him. Especially since the principle suggested it, we figured she knows best what is taught in each classroom. So yesterday I spent the day convienceing him that he was going to school today even though it wasn't the 31st today. I was able to get him to believe me when I took him to the school to meet his teacher. After that he didn't stop talking about it, he also wanted me to go buy every single thing that was on the teachers list for us to get. We got about half and he reminded me this morning that we didn't have it all. It was really cute, he didn't think he could go if he didn't have it all. I hope we made the right choice for him.

Good Job Buddy! Mom and Dad Love You! Have fun in the 1st grade!

The big boy waiting so "paitently" for us to leave.

The cool Transformer backpack.

We walked in the front door without any hesitation, he was more like running.

He walked right in and sat down, what a big boy I have!

I have to admit...I got a little teary eyed when I got back to car, but not the wave of tears I thought would come. I am proud of myself. He wanted to ride the bus to school, but I told him that I was taking him. He gets to ride the bus home.

3 of ya'll said...:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a big move! Skip K and go to 1st? Let me know how he does after you pick him up. I would love to hear the adventures of 1st grade. That is exciting!

Darlene said...

Looks like he was ready to go. He will be OK, hopefully mom will be too. Thanks for the pictures. Love you mom

Annie said...

Growing up they wanted my little brother to do the same thing...only that would have meant we would have been in the same grade, so my parents opted no. Ben was BORED almost the entire school year, and got into alot of trouble in elementary years. So I think you made a good move. I'm sure he is going to love it.